Re: g++ -m32 option causes an error

On 10/20/2013 03:20, Arthur Schwarz wrote:

> What I am trying to do is to cross-compile to a 32-bit system and get 4-byte longs, 8-byte doubles and 4-byte pointers instead of 8-byte longs, 16-byte doubles and pointers. I have 11 compilers downloaded as part of the standard download from cygwin, with some being duplicates. Some of the compiler names seemed to be cross-compiled to a 32-bit CPU, and in checking this out this guess turns out to be untrue. What I want is the compiler to generate 32-bit code loadable on a 64-bit and a 32-bit platform. This is possible using the 32-bit cygwin compilers.
>
>  I am using Netbeans as my development IDE. The compilers used and the results of compilation are given below.
>
>  I don't understand why there is not x86_64-pc-cygwin assembler and I don't understand why the builds link to the wrong libraries. I'm going to cross-mail this letter to Netbeans to see if they can give some help.
>
>  Sorry about the delay, I've trying to find out what is going on.

x86_64-pc-cygwin does 64bit Cygwin, it does not support multilib nor
-m32, it will not do so in the future either, so don't argue about
adding support. "g++" in 64bit Cygwin targets 64bit Cygwin.

Use 32bit Cygwin or the 32 Cygwin cross compiler in 64bit Cygwin
instead. I don't really understand why this is so hard to grasp.