Re: Install puts home in /c/Users

>Greetings, Lee Savidge!
>
>> Firstly, why? Why make my cygwin home directory use the same folder
>> that Windows uses which is full of a load of stuff that Windows needs
>> to keep?
>
>What about opposite question? Why spread the stuff, that is presumable
>privately yours, across untold amount of directories?
>Why not keep it in your private profile directory, that is intended to hold
>your private profile stuff?

The reason is simple. I want cygwin home to be a different folder to
the standard Windows "home directory". They're separate things and I
want to keep thing separate.

>> Secondly, how can I put it back as it used to be so that when I opened
>> bash it defaulted to my home directory which was mapped to
>
>> /cygdrive/c/cygwin64/home/myuseraccount
>
>> I know I could put in the bashrc file a cd which changes directory to
>> the home directory under cygwin but that means my real home directory
>> is still under /users which isn't what I want.
>
>> Once I've sorted that I will be a happy bunny. I've looked through the
>> mailing lists and I can't find anything that helps but then I might
>> not be searching for the right terminology.
>
>> After that my next job is to get rid of the /cygdrive mount points. It
>> just makes typing Windows paths unnecessarily long winded.
>
>This is as easy as uncommenting and editing a single line in /etc/fstab
>Strange that you are still struggling with such a simple issue.

Clearly I'm stupid then. However, I think given this wasn't just a
case of uncommenting a line in fstab as it wasn't commented out, maybe
I was justifiable in my question and not being stupid. The problem was
a two-fold problem.

1. Windows had changed the HOME environment variable so that it was
pointing to %USERPROFILE%

2. The shortcut was one I'd created a long time ago and obviously it
didn't like it any more. Allowing the installer to create a new
shortcut and my replacing the one I have with it allowed cygwin to
start up and create the environment properly.

Now cygwin loads up just fine and it goes into the proper directory as
I would expect, and indeed, how it used to thanks to Corinna's help.

It is odd that you find it strange that someone may not understand
everything that is so crystal clear to you. Any question is easy if
you know the answer. There is no such thing as a hard question.

Don't be so quick to denigrate someone because they don't know what
you know. I hope your tone wasn't meant to come across that way, but
it did.

--
    Lee Savidge