RE: Did October "Patch Tuesday" break something?

<snip>

> I also installed the October windows patches (Win 7) and my emacs changed
> but in a different way. Everything works normally except when I try to
read
> an info file.
> Apparently emacs thinks I suddenly speak French. Outside emacs info works
> perfectly. I haven't had any time to investigate and I can't really see
how they
> could possibly be related to the patches. It does seem odd that the change
> happened at the same time as the patches.  Maybe Lisp and AI actually work
> and lisp has become sentient and is starting early for Halloween.

To close the loop for the record, my situation had nothing to do with the
windows patches.
For reasons I haven't tracked down yet the emacs package system seems to
have had a bad day.
Emacs has a package system and some repositories for many of the modes and
extensions available.
After M-x list-packages you select packages of interest for installation or
update and life is good. It
seems one of the packages is damaged in the repo or it became corrupted
during/after update. Oddly,
it worked great for a day after package update but then the package system
started adding some download
package directories to the Info-directory-list which caused the emacs info
mode to find the French versions
before anything else.  I still don't know what triggered the madness but
it's definitely happening during the
package load/init phase and has nothing to do with MS or the recent patches.