Re: VIM Vundle not working under Cygwin64

On 2013-10-03, Paul King wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have tried to get vim's vundle package to work under Cygwin64, and
> it appears as though vim doesn't understand most of the package.
> Vundle works under 32-bit Cygwin, but something in the way the 64-bit
> version was compiled looks in the wrong place for vimrc.
>
> The 64-bit version (sorry I forget the version number (I uninstalled
> it), but it is the one under the very latest 64-bit distro) thinks
> that
> vimrc resides under ~/.vim/vimrc (a directory in my case). It does not
> look at my ~/.vimrc file at all. I got this info using :version

The latest 64-bit Cygwin vim package is 7.3.1314-1.  Since version
7.3.1178, vim looks for your personal configuration file first in
~/.vimrc, then in ~/.vim/vimrc.  I have my actual vimrc file in
~/.vim/vimrc and currently symlink to it from ~/.vimrc so that I can
run older versions of vim.

When I run vim-7.3.1314-1 on 64-bit Cygwin, it says that $MYVIMRC is
$HOME/.vimrc.  ":scriptnames" also shows ~/.vimrc as the only vimrc
sourced.

So, Cygwin's 64-bit Vim is working just fine for me.

> When I force it to do so (vim -u ~/.vimrc filename), I get a ton of
> errors as it does not seem to understand most of the Vundle commands.
> That could also be from the fact that it might be an older version of
> vim, but since I uninstalled it, I can't be sure.

Are you sure you're running the full version of vim?  ":version"
should show this at the top:

    :version
    VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Sep 13 2013 01:07:02)
    Included patches: 1-1314
    Compiled by <#################>
    Huge version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):

[It turns out that including the real "Compiled by" string causes
this message to be rejected by the list server because that string
includes an e-mail address.]

It looks to me like you might be running the minimal version of vim.
Try this command.

    $ cygcheck -cd | grep vim
    vim                  7.3.1314-1
    vim-common           7.3.1314-1
    vim-minimal          7.3.1314-1

If that looks the same on your system, would you post the errors you