Re: Tried to remove cygdrive prefix, ended up "lost" in my filesystem

On 10/2/2013 7:45 PM, Diego Mesa wrote:
Hello!

I've tried the mount -c / command, as well as the changes in fstab
with a restart and it still doesnt work! Am I missing something?

You appear to be expecting that you can run the command above while
you're sitting in a path under /cygdrive and that you'll somehow
magically be remapped to the new location.  It doesn't work that
way.  Try this:

cd /
mount -c /
ls /c

With that you should see the contents of your C drive.  If you
don't see that, try 'mount -p'.  From that, you should see:

Prefix              Type         Flags
/                   user         binmode

If not, you're definitely doing something wrong.  We'll need a
full problem report -> <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

Also, keep in mind that setting the cygdrive path with the 'mount'
command is a runtime thing only.  As soon as the last Cygwin
process on your system terminates, it resets to 'cygdrive' again.
That's the reason the '/etc/fstab' method also exists.  But stick
with the above recipe until you understand what's happening and
you see results you want.  Then you can continue your experimentation
using '/etc/fstab' if you prefer.

--
Larry