Re: cannot run setup64.exe without admin privileges (even if renamed foo.exe)

On 2013-09-12 04:07, Frédéric Bron wrote:
I would like to run setup64.exe on Windows 7 without asking for admin
rights but the computer asks me for admin credentials.
I read this: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-06/msg00286.html where
Corinna suggested to rename the .exe to foo.exe but this did not work.
I also do not have the rights to modify the Local Security Policy.

UAC Installer Detection only affects x86 binaries, so that only helps with setup-x86.exe. As for setup-x86_64.exe, its builtin manifest requires Admin privileges because otherwise it won't promote itself automatically, and most people install Cygwin for All Users.

Is there any workaround? Would it be possible to supply a setup that
do not need admin privileges?

You can build setup.exe yourself for x86_64-w64-mingw32 with the requestedExecutionLevel entry removed from the manifest. The sources are in cygwin-apps CVS.

Yaakov