Re: xz -9 : Cannot allocate memory

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> That's an awful lot of memory, and it it could easily break later mmap's
> or thread stack reservations on 32 bit.  Given that the default heap is
> 384 Megs already, I would prefer if we reserve subsequent heap memory in
> chunks of 1 or 2 Megs only, to lower the pressure on the VM.

Sounds good, 2MiB should be what Windows uses for "large pages" on
processors that have these (in PAE mode or on x86_64).  I'm not sure if
it still needs nudging to boot w/ PAE enabled, it would use 4MiB large pages
when not in PAE mode, but the large pages are not exposed to the
application layer on Win2000 and WinXP anyway.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: