Re: emacs-24.3.1 crashes on talking to Google

On 8/29/2013 10:27 AM, Zdzislaw Meglicki wrote:
> Ken asks:
>
>> This is not specific to Cygwin.  If it belongs anywhere, it should be in the emacs manual.
>> I just looked at the section "Emacs speaks SMTP" in the smtpmail documentation, and
>> the instructions look pretty clear to me.  What happens if you follow those instructions,
>> replacing "mail.example.org" with "smtp.gmail.com"?  If there's anything Cygwin-specific
>> that goes wrong, then I'll try to fix it or add something to
>>
>>     /usr/share/doc/emacs/README.Cygwin,
>>
>> whatever is appropriate.
>
> I tried every trick and... it still crashes: the moment you try to send mail through Google
> with emacs.
>
> My latest .emacs code looked as follows:
>
> (require 'smtpmail)
> (require 'auth-source)
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtpmail-stream-type 'starttls)
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
>
> The crash occurs with or without smtpmail-stream-type set. The authentication
> lives on the ~/.authinfo file, which looks as follows:
>
> machine smtp.gmail.com login <my-login> password <my-password>
>
> of course, with <my-login> and <my-password> filled with the correct info.
>
> There is some confusing information on-line and also in the emacs manual
> about whether the ~/.authinfo file should be generated by emacs on asking
> for the login and password on connection, or whether it should be written by
> the user prior to invoking emacs. If I don't have this file, emacs does not ask
> me for the login and password, but it crashes anyway.
>
> Here's my question to the community: can anyone send e-mail through Google
> SMTP from emacs-24.3.1 on the latest 64-bit Windows-8/Cygwin?

I don't use Windows 8, but I just checked on Windows 7, and it works for me.  I created a ~/.authinfo file with the following contents:

machine smtp.googlemail.com login <my-login> port 587 password <my-passwd>

And I put the following in my ~/.emacs:

(require 'smtpmail)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.googlemail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

[I used "smtp.googlemail.com" because that's the smtp server in my Thunderbird gmail account.]

With these settings I can send mail successfully.  I do get the following in the *Messages* buffer after sending mail:

Sending via mail...
gnutls.c: [1] Note that the security level of the Diffie-Hellman key exchange has been lowered to 256 bits and this may allow decryption of the session data

Sending email
Sending email done
gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
Sending...done

Ken