Re: Why are the 32- and 64-bit cygwin1.dlls incompatible?

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:04:06AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Aug 25 13:26, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >What about CYGWIN=32bitCygwinExec or some such?
>>
>> Yes, we were talking about a CYGWIN environment variable.  It would
>> probably be something like "arch_mismatch".  However, you're jumping to
>> implementation when it isn't even clear if this is something that we
>> want to do.
>
>We shouldn't overburden the CYGWIN env var with lots of tiny, nagging
>settings which are just as easy to keep in all the time.  Letting the
>32 bit version of Cygwin run 64 bit apps...
>
>> >And what about the other direction?
>>
>> Apparently "vice versa" is not a universally understood term.
>
>...and vice versa doesn't cost us anything.  We add a FAQ people can be
>pointed to and that's it.

When I said "vice versa", I meant that we might need the same clear
warning for 64-bit programs running on 32-bit platforms.  I'm still not
clear on why this requires so much clarification.  But that's all right.
No need to enlighten me.  I'll just chalk this up to the Cygwin mailing
list confusion vortex.

You know I'm not a big fan of adding options to the CYGWIN environment
variable but I'm less of a fan of having people whine about something
not working, indignantly telling them to read the FAQ, and then having
them whine that there is no workaround.

This could all be a non-issue.  I was just trying to brainstorm and
think ahead.  But there's always that pesky vortex.

cgf