ghostscript running very slow from cygwin

I'm using cygwin 64 on a machine running windows 7. I need this to run
some unix optimized scripts which create .ps files and convert them to
.pdf using ps2pdf. When I'm running ps2pdf from the windows command
line it takes approximately three minutes to convert a 100 mb file.
When doing the same operation from cygwin it takes half an hour.

Are there any known problems with cygwin and ghostscript? Is there any
alternative?

Thanks for your help,
Laurence