Re: mt and tar fail on LTO-5 drives

On Monday 19 August 2013 17:40:31 bartels wrote:
> On 08/19/2013 06:31 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> > First of all, it's not clear to me whether it is a Microsoft problem
> > or a device driver problem.  I would see what's known about the
> > behavior of the devices and their drivers with the specific Windows
> > version you have.  Of course it could be that other tools don't need to
> > ask those same questions, for some reason, so that they end up working
> > fine ..
>
> Good thinking.
>
> Running W7 64 professional.
>
> It detects the HP drive and automatically installs some driver.
> This driver shows the same behaviour as the HP driver.
>
> And then there is the IBM driver. Not sure if W7 installs a default
> driver for that. Same story.

This *might* be useful..
..particularly..
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBM_TSM_Supported_Devices_for_AIXHPSUNWIN.html

Please bear in mind the page is for TSM (Tivoli Storage Manager) so even if
you find your drive in there it still may mean you need a driver. It is
often the case when an IBM driver is required that both the driver and
drive firmware must match.

I'm going to duck out now except to say one more thing. When I've had to
install TSM on a windows machine & it's gone wrong it has always been the
driver (or getting windows to use the right driver) at fault.

Guy