Re: Case sensitive filenames for non-NTFS filesystems

On Aug  3 19:42, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Shaddy Baddah wrote:
> >
> >This is the output for L: drive, which is not a physical but logical
> >volume formatted EXFAT. Hopefully it doesn't alter the
> >characteristics/attributes. With a bit of extra effort, I could try with
> >a physical device (format a spare USB stick EXFAT through Windows):
> >
> >$ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe /cygdrive/l
> >Flags              : 6
> >  FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : FALSE
> >  FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
> >  FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : TRUE
>
> >But I have to admit that the "con" of losing case-preservation is a
> >weighty one. I have discussed in the (very distant) past having issues
> >with operating on Linux kernel source.
> ---
> 	???   Linux preserves and is sensitive to case by default.
> According to the above, EXFAT does not have a "con" of losing
> case-preservation.  It *is* case-insensitive just like NTFS.

No, it isn't.  Did you read the User's Guide?
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-casesensitive

> Perhaps you are creating files on linux on ex-fat and you have
> the linux driver setup to be case sensitive?

You didn't read Shaddy's OP.  He was asking to make ExFAT filenames
case sensitive *within* Cygwin by adding WCHAR trickery to Cygwin.
That would be possible, of course, as long as the FS is case preserving.
It's just pretty laborious.

Corinna

Red Hat