Re: Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:44:07AM -0400, Tom Honermann wrote:
On 07/25/2013 11:21 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:10:50AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
It's not strace that's broken.  That's just a simple fix to the DLL.

Actually, nevermind.  It's not a bug.

Could you elaborate?  Prior to 1.7.21, strace provided the command line.
  As of 1.7.21 it doesn't.  That looks like a regression to me.

The output that you're looking at says "Here's the command line that is
being passed to CreateProcess".  Since there is now no command line the
strace output is correct.

How does that make it not a regression? The information used to be provided, now it isn't.

From a user's perspective, I don't care what the implementation is. This *looks* broken. Any user that relied on the information being present (which is a reasonable expectation given that the tool used to provide it and still attempts to) will consider this a regression.

I assert that expecting command lines for Cygwin processes to be viewable in tools like Windows Task Manager and SysInternals Process Explorer is a reasonable expectation - especially since they have been present there for many releases - again, going back to at least the 1.5.x days. This change may have been intentional, but from a user perspective, it has broken behavior that any Windows user would reasonably expect to be able to rely on.

Tom.