Python core dump depending on module import order with latest upgrade

Since the latest upgrade the following python program causes an "Aborted (core dumped)" error:

#!/usr/bin/python
import ctypes
import zlib
a = 1

If the order of imports is reversed (zlib then ctypes) no core dump error occurs.

python2.7.exe.stackdump contains nothing of use:
Stack trace:
Frame     Function  Args

Versions are:

uname -srm
CYGWIN_NT-6.2 1.7.20(0.266/5/3) i686

python
Python 2.7.3 (default, Dec 18 2012, 13:50:09)
[GCC 4.5.3] on cygwin

ctypes
__version__ = '1.1.0'

zlib
__version__ = '1.0'
ZLIB_VERSION = '1.2.7'

The dates on the latest cygwin dll files (cygwin1.dll) etc. in /usr/bin are Jun 7 10:11

O/S is Windows v8.0

Setup.exe version is 2.774

Neither ctypes nor zlib is in the site-packages directory so I don't see any user module recompilation being available.
I do have sip installed in site-packages but this is not used by the failing program.