Re: Postinstall Script Errors With Exit Code 128

On 5/28/2013 3:43 PM, Paul.Nickerson@desknetinc.com wrote:
I am attempting to install Cygwin, and am getting errors near the end of
the process. I am using version 2.774 of setup.exe on Microsoft Windows
Server 2003 R2 Datacenter x64 Edition Service Pack 2 and the default
Cygwin packages. This is an Amazon AWS EC2 instance, and I am remote
desktopping in. In the Cygwin Setup GUI, after it goes through the install
procedure, I get a window titled Postinstall script errors, with the below
output text:

Package: base-cygwin
         000-cygwin-post-install.sh exit code 128
Package: terminfo
         terminfo.sh exit code 128
Package: bash
         bash.sh exit code 128
Package: coreutils
         coreutils.sh exit code 128
Package: _autorebase
         autorebase.bat exit code -1073741819
Package: base-files
         base-files-profile.sh exit code 2816
         base-files-mketc.sh exit code 128
Package: cygutils
         cygutils.sh exit code 127
Package: man
         man.sh exit code 128

If I then open Cygwin Terminal using the Desktop shortcut, I get a window
titled "-sh" and a prompt that says "-sh-4.1$". The command "ls" returns
"-sh: ls: command not found", but echo works. I have tried re-running
setup.exe, removing the cygwin directory, re-downloading the setup.exe,
removing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cygwin from the registry,
setting "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" and
rebooting, altering file and folder permissions, deleting the cache and
using different mirrors, and using rdesktop in CentOS vs. mstsc.exe in
Windows to remote desktop in, but none of this changes the behavior.

I have an odd and possibly related behavior. If I open Command Prompt, run
C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
to get a "bash-4.1$" prompt, then in there run
if [ "foo" = "foo" ]; then echo "Expression evaluated as true."; fi
the bash prompt will exit back to command prompt, and %ERRORLEVEL% has
been set to 128.
Running that if statement in the window brought up by the Cygwin Terminal
Desktop shortcut will sometimes make the window close, but not always. I
have not explored how I might be triggering the Desktop shortcut to work
or not work.

I have attached setup.log and setup.log.full.

When I run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out, it hangs and does not exit.
Checking Task Manager, I see that it's using ~45% CPU (I have 2 virtual
cores). It does write some things out to cygcheck.out, which I have
attached. When I run the command in Command Prompt without redirecting
output to a file, I get a little more information before it hangs, which I
have copied out of the command prompt and attached as
cygcheck-no-redirect.out. I do not know why it's saying I have multiple
cygwin1.dlls on my path. There is only C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll.

Looking at cygcheck.out, I am running in a Terminal Service session, which
makes sense as I am remote desktopped in. My problem might be related to
FAQ #2.14 (http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.setup-fails-on-ts
), but the DEP solution is not helping me. I tried running
"C:\cygwin\bin>peflags --tsaware=true --tsaware *" in Command Prompt, but
it did not change anything.

Try removing GS and OpenVPN from you path and try installing again.  If
that doesn't work, you might try installing "Just for Me".

--
Larry