Re: database related

On 20/03/13 06:31, Wynfield Henman wrote:
The database MariaDB looks good.   It does have a windows version
available, but I, like others would prefer to learn it on a Posix
system like cygwin if at all possible.

The only information I could find matching MariaDB and cygwin as at
least a couple of years old as I recall.   Has anyone built or tried
MariaDB on cygwin?    I'd appreciate information about it.

I can't imagine MariaDB being much different from MySQL which I successfully compiled MySQL on Cygwin over a year ago. It was more a proof of concept than a practical project but I thought I'd share the notes I made at the time:

User / Group Creation:
-----------------------
Cygwin takes its users and groups from its Windows host.
I found that I couldn't create a new group if a user with the same name already exists. This prevented me from creating both a user and group called âmysqlâ so I used the group name, âmysqlgroupâ.

# create a Windows mysqlgroup group
net localgroup mysqlgroup /add
# create a mysql user
net user mysql /add
# add 'mysql' user to 'mysqlgroup'
net localgroup mysqlgroup mysql /add

# Update Cygwin's user & group files
mkpasswd -l -u mysql >> /etc/passwd
mkgroup -l -g mysqlgroup >> /etc/group

Compilation:
Follow instructions at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/installing-source-distribution.html

The default C compiler flag -O3 doesn't work properly under Cygwin with gcc 3.4.4

Ensure readline is installed and use:
./configure --without-readline CFLAGS=-O2

chown -vR mysql:mysqlgroup /usr/local/*/*
bin/mysql_install_db --user=mysql   # works fine in Cygwin

This creates the data directory and initialises the mysql and test databases.

Hope this helps,
Anthony