emacs fails on startup: cannot find cyggnutls-26.dll (with possible workaround)

After updating Cygwin on a Dell PC running Windows 7 (it may have been a year or two since the previous update, since setup.exe was outdated and therefore replaced with the current version), emacs (which had worked fine before) failed on startup, giving the error message

/usr/bin/emacs-X11.exe: error while loading shared libraries: cyggnutls-26.dll: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The emacs-nox program failed identically, but xemacs did not have this problem, and seemed to be working O.K.

A fresh install of Cygwin on another computer (an HP laptop running Windows 7, which had never previously had any version of Cygwin installed) had the same problem with emacs and emacs-nox , but similarly had no problem with xemacs .

Note that the attached cygcheck.out file has been edited to remove a few user-defined environment variables that specified users/hostnames for some remote machines. Nothing else was removed from this file.

Possible workaround:

cp -i /bin/cyggnutls-28.dll /bin/cyggnutls-26.dll

I had tried doing this (copying the file /bin/cyggnutls-28.dll to /bin/cyggnutls-26.dll ) the first time the problem occurred, but after I had done this emacs just appeared to hang on startup, so I deleted the copy /bin/cyggnutls-26.dll again. It may be that I was just insufficiently patient, because, a few days and a couple of Cygwin updates later...

and AFTER creating the attached cygcheck.out file...

I tried this again, and it worked. I tried starting emacs again, and after appearing to hang for a while, it started up O.K. After that first time, emacs started up without any unusual wait (and emacs-nox also worked O.K.).

The same workaround worked the same way on the laptop that had the fresh Cygwin installation with the same problem.

There may have been some slight loss of functionality: for example, the command-line option

emacs -font 6x13

still correctly reduces the font in the emacs windows, but the command-line option

emacs -xrm "emacs.pane.menubar.font: 6x13\
emacs.menu*.font: 6x13\
emacs.pane.menubar.background: violet\
emacs.menu*.background: violet"

no longer reduces the font for the menubar menus and no longer turns that menubar and the menu backgrounds violet. I have not noticed any other problems (though I have only done a little simple editing of a couple of files).

---Arnold