Re: Intermittent failures with ctrl-c

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 01:17:45PM -0500, Tom Honermann wrote:
>On 01/23/2013 12:26 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:20:20PM -0500, Tom Honermann wrote:
>>> However, just as I was about to give up testing, I hit one more new
>>> issue.  One of the ctrl-c events sent bash into what appeared to be an
>>> infinite loop emitting error messages like these:
>>>
>>> 11408974 [unknown (0x144C)] bash 1752 exception::handle: Error while
>>> dumping state (probably corrupted stack)
>>> 11411584 [unknown (0x144C)] bash 1752 exception::handle: Error while
>>> dumping state (probably corrupted stack)
>>>
>>> While this was going on, hitting ctrl-c had no discernible effect.  I
>>> resorted to killing the process via task manager.
>>>
>>> This only occurred once, I wasn't able to get it to happen again.
>>
>> Was there a stackdump?
>
>Unfortunately no.  And I should have grabbed a stack trace, but I didn't.
>
>I tried to reproduce again today using the same snapshot (20130123), but
>didn't have any luck.
>
>I see you checked in a change to detect the infinite recursion.  I'd
>call that good enough.

That probably is relatively ok given that you're trying to terminate the
process anyway but it would be nice to know why the stackdump was
happening.

>Thank you for your prompt attention to all of these issues Chris!  I
>find it very impressive how responsive the Cygwin maintainers are to
>reports like these!

You're very welcome.  Thanks for hanging in there throughout this
process.

FYI, as it turns out, working around the thread exit problem uncovered a
whole host of issues with locking/signals/exit that have been lurking in
the code for a while.  So, this exercise should have made a better
Cygwin in the long-run.  It may even have made Cygwin a little faster.

cgf