Backspace in shell doesn't backspace after Cygwin update

My hard drive on my Win7 laptop crashed last week, and I'm now trying to get everything I had reinstalled.  After I reinstalled Cygwin (now at 1.7.17), I'm seeing some problems starting up Cygwin tools. I don't see anything specifically about this in the FAQ.

I normally run "C:\Cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -display :0 -fn "Lucida Console-14" -tn rxvt-cygwin-native -e /bin/bash --login" from a shortcut for a shell outside of Emacs.  When I do this now, it looks ok, but I'm now finding that the Backspace key just moves the cursor forward one character, not deleting the previous character.

I have another shortcut for "C:\Cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/rxvt.exe -display 127.0.0.1:0 -tn rxvt-cygwin -e /bin/bash --login".  This behaves the same as the previous with respect to Backspace. "mintty" does the same.

The Emacs shell is fine.

My CYGWIN variable is just set to "nodosfilewarning".

Pressing Ctl-v followed by backspace gets "^H".

This is the output of "stty":
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
erase = ^H; swtch = <undef>;

I compared my ~/.inputrc with /etc/defaults/etc/skel/.inputrc and there were only differences in comments.

What other information would be relevant?