Re: Best practice for running pgsql under cygwin?

On 22/12/2012 7:36 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Ryan Johnson!

I'm trying to set up pgsql for classroom instruction, which means I need
to allow students to connect to my machine, preferably with no OS-level
privileges and minimal database privileges.
If your class is about setting up the server, you should really use virtual
machines.
If it's about using SQL on already running server, it makes no difference, if
you've your server as Cygwin port or native application - clients will never
know.

Setting up the database roles looks straightforward enough, but I'm having
trouble figuring out how to secure the machine.
It is unclear to me, why you need to let students access the machine.
Most student work will be done on private installs of pgsql, which they can set up however they'd like.

However, we're going to do classroom demos at times, including one where we have fun with different isolation levels; I'll need multiple students logged into the same database so they can mess with each others' interactive transactions.

Thanks,
Ryan