IIS on Windows 7 vs. Cygwin file permissions

I've spent the last hour trying to find the answer to this on the
Web/in the archives, sorry if it's an FAQ:

What's the least 'open' way possible using chgrp and chmod g+r to
allow my IIS server to 'see' files on my local disk?  At the moment I
have found only three ways to let IIS see a file at all:

 1) chmod o+r;
 2) Use Windows folder security manipulations to give 'user' IUSR read
    access.
 3) chgrp Users ...

(1) and (3) are pretty 'open', and I'd rather avoid the lengthy
Windows UI exercise required for (2) if possible. . .

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk