Symlink Size [was Rebase/Perl packaging problem?]

Barry Buchbinder sent the following at Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:02 PM
>For the record, I was worried that if I simply deleted it cygcheck -c
>perl would report perl as incomplete.  So I changed the link so that it
>pointed to </usr/bin/cygperl5_14.dll>.  cygcheck reports complete and the
>rebaseall error message goes away.

This is just for my education.

While looking at this, I noticed (where "noticed" = "was confused and
thought that something was wrong") that the ls showed the symlink to be 24
bytes while Widows Explorer (properties) and cmd /c DIR showed it to be
35 bytes.  When I copied the symlink nothing changed.  When I removed the
system attribute of the copy (making it no longer a symlink), ls started
showing it as 35 bytes.

Looking inside the symlink in a windows text editor showed the following
35 byte string:  "!<symlink>/usr/bin/cygperl5_14.dll" (no trailing \n).
"/usr/bin/cygperl5_14.dll" is 24 bytes so the numbers are explained.

So I'm wondering:  Is this by design (presumably to be consistent with
POSIX or Linux) or is it just the way it worked out?  (Or both?)  Are
there other cygwin situations where ls doesn't report the actual size
on disk?

Thanks for enlightening me.

- Barry