RFE: make non-x11 emacs mouse-aware

Hi all, esp. emacs maintainer(s),

I'd like to request that the non-x11 emacs be made mouse aware. Right now, terminal mouse mode is broken in normal emacs because the emacs core doesn't recognize the resulting mouse events. You can use emacs-x11 in terminal mode as a heavyweight workaround, but it turns out that mouse awareness is controlled by the src/config.h file created by ./configure:
/* Define if you have mouse support. */
/* #undef HAVE_MOUSE */

There doesn't seem to be an explicit configure switch for it (it's enabled indirectly by --with-x11 or --with-ns), but editing directly produced the desired results on a headless linux machine, with no undesirable side effects so far. I see no reason it shouldn't also work under cygwin.

Thoughts?
Ryan