multiwindow X11 and Emacs

Now that X11 works again without crashing and I've found a font that looks OK
I'm running into a problem again that (I think) has existed for much longer:

When I start emacs from a shell window outside the X11 session (e.g. the same
mintty that I ran startxwin in) and then iconify emacs-X11 with C-z, the cursor
won't blink and it won't respond to keyboard input after de-iconifying it from
the taskbar (I'm using the multiwindow "native" window manager).  I have to
select something from the menu bar before emacs starts responding again, which
is a bit of a problem when I've switched the menu bar off... until I remember
that the context menus in the text pane are still there.

This does not happen if Emacs is started from an Xterm or the menu entry of the
X server icon in the notification area or even another mintty that's been
started from within X.  Somehow that C-z makes its way to where it shouldn't go
when the controlling terminal hasn't been started from the X11 session.  Ideas?

Regards,
Achim.