Re: coredumps with fc-cache, fc-list

On 8/29/2012 4:03 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
> I'm back to debugging, on the Vista machine where gdb actually works
> [1], the original problem with rxvt-unicode which I encountered on W7 --
> that is, whenever I do anything "interesting" (like, say, simply
> starting vi), my rxvt-unicode terminal crashes with a SIGABRT:
>
> Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
> 0x00000000 in ?? ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x00000000 in ?? ()
> #1  0x77015490 in ntdll!ZwWaitForSingleObject ()
>    from /c/Windows/system32/ntdll.dll
> #2  0x757b9aa4 in WaitForSingleObjectEx ()
>    from /c/Windows/system32/kernel32.dll
> #3  0x00000564 in ?? ()
> #4  0x00000000 in ?? ()
>

> No idea why.

Turns out this was an unhandled exception issue (which was quite obvious
from the stacktrace once I was able to put a breakpoint in cygwin's
abort() implementation).  rxvt-unicode was trying to be clever, and
linking only against libsupc++ (that is, using gcc to link, and adding
-lsupc++) rather than linking with g++.

The configure test was apparently simple enough that it passed on cygwin
-- but rxvt-unicode itself was more complex, and died horribly. I
changed it to link using g++ and everything worked fine: both the new
9.15-1 and a simple respin of the old 9.07 release.

I still can't use gdb on my W7 box, tho...

--
Chuck