Re: gzip 1.4-1 creates corrupt archive

On 27/08/2012 7:29 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:38 AM, K Stahl wrote:
Missed that section, was reading from my phone.  Anyway, how about
instead of chastising someone for trying to help, you come up with an
alternative solution?
Stating that you missed something in a post isn't really chastising as
much as it is criticism that you need to pay attention more.  Reading
from a phone isn't an excuse for miscommunication.

*sigh*

It was actually neither. Somebody who seemed to have a clue how to diagnose this weirdness happened to miss a relevant detail. Happens to all of us, but I figured if I pointed it out early on it would save the OP a round trip latency in getting to the next phase of diagnosis, since the advice given had already been tried.

Unfortunately, it backfired and introduced 2+ rounds of latency instead.

Back on topic, I can't repro using text or binary (executable) files, which makes me wonder whether the issue is the constant appending the OP mentioned. Perhaps gzip reads twice from the growing log file in a way that confuses it, and bzip2 doesn't? Perhaps there's some weirdness with atimes that makes gzip think the file is unchanged when it actually has grown?

Ryan