Space key + gdb?

So I was trying to debug why my new build of rxvt-unicode crashes as soon as I try to do anything interesting, and found that gdb was unusable. I was trying to type 'set args' but the space key would not work.

No, it's not my keyboard.

In the same terminal, I can type spaces all day long, but as soon as I start gdb, /gdb/ won't recognize them. I can get the same behavior in a cygwin shell in a dosbox, or in (old, non unicode)rxvt, or in mintty.

Any ideas?

--
Chuck