RE: Perl 5.14 and XML::Parser

On Friday, August 17, 2012 4:50 PM, Reini Urban wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 6:55 AM, Christopher Faylor  wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:04:48PM -0600, Thomas Wicklund wrote:
>>>The update of perl on to 5.14 moved some perl modules to a new
>>>perl_vendor package which is not installed by default.  The
>>>announcement I found stated that perl_vendor is modules "which are
>>>mainly required to build and test and report test results of other CPAN
>>>modules."
>
>That was the short summary, yes.
>
>>>I find that the XML::Parser module (at least) has been moved.  I've
>>>been using this module for years to parse XML output for a set of
>>>Subversion tools.  I had a couple hours of digging today to figure out
>>>why a coworker started getting errors after updating Cygwin, then
>>>figuring out the new package.
>
>As an request from Yaakov and also from upstream p5p
>I have moved all non-core packages to the new perl_vendor.
>
>>>As an occasional user of perl I would much prefer that the maximum
>>>number of packages be included in the distribution (since disk space
>>>and bandwidth are constantly becoming cheaper) than to have to spend
>>>time figuring out why something can't be found.
>
>This is right. I really sympathize with you and all others.
>But unfortunately I had to made this move for political reasons,
>not technical ones.

Thank you for the response.  While the new package was annoying and
took some time to figure out, I was more concerned that the
announcement implied that the new package was for modules which
weren't of general use.

I didn't see the original announcement (we rarely update cygwin) so it
took a while to find.  However, even if I had seen the announcement I
wouldn't have had any reason think it would affect me.

Thomas Wicklund