Re: /etc/profile

Christopher Faylor writes:
> I'll just reiterate what Daniel said again: We can't make things like
> cmd or notepad stop working.  That would be a disaster.

Yes, and nobody proposed otherwise.

> I wasn't really following the discussion, and don't really want to check
> stuff out in git to see what's going on, but if the proposed change just
> makes it possible for purists to remove the Windows PATH from the Cygwin
> one however that's great.

OK, here it is again in a nutshell, it has two parts:

1. instead of adding the windows PATH in /etc/profile (which doesn't
need it _at all_), just record it there into ORIGINAL_PATH.

2. Add a script to /etc/profile.d which concatenates the Cygwin and the
windows path to provide the same net result as todays /etc/profile.

I hope this avoids more TLDR;

Regards,
Achim.