Re: /etc/profile

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 01:13:37PM -0700, Daniel Colascione wrote:
> On 8/22/12 12:10 PM, David Sastre Medina wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:16:28AM +0000, Achim Gratz wrote:
> >> I'm removing the Windows PATH in my startup scripts since there's nothing in
> >> there that I think should be accessible from Cygwin.
> >
> > All three changes will be available in the next release (profile_d
> > modification taken from your last version in this thread).
>
> Are you sure that's actually a good idea? I don't agree with this logic:
> People execute Windows programs using Cygwin all the time. With this
> change, basic things like "cmd" and "notepad" will fail to work.
> Working with Windows programs is the *point* of Cygwin. I really don't
> think this change should go into the default startup scripts.

I for one never start windows programs from within a shell, with the
exception of firefox, and for that I registered an entry in the
alternatives system (x-www-browser), however, I take your advice and
I'll give this a second thought, and also would like to hear from
others' opnion wrt to this.
Obviously, ORIGINAL_PATH (as proposed in Achim's patch) would
still hold the native Windows' PATH, so it'd be very easy to include a
(commented?) line using it, so it would be easy to switch it:

#PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:${ORIGINAL_PATH}"

--
Primary key fingerprint: AD8F BDC0 5A2C FD5F A179  60E7 F79B AB04 5299 EC56