Re: Which version of cygwin 'rock solid'

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 07:28:31PM +0000, Devin Nate wrote:
>Yeah, we won't be forking a new version...  We'll either go commercial
>via Red Hat or select a 1.7.x version that works for us.  We want to be
>part if the effort and contribute as such.
>
>The real spirit of my question was this....  We develop software
>ourselves, and sometimes we put out a "stable / production" version
>which we know has more unproven features, or has undergone some major
>refactoring, and inspite of QA and testing and we expect more bugs.  At
>other times, we know that we've got a stable release and it's proven to
>work well.
>
>The spirit of my question "which version do you like" was in that
>light.  I follow the cygwin list, and constantly see reports of bugs
>and fixes, and use this snapshot or that...  Great work for sure.  It's
>hard for me to evaluate when the bugs are minor, or, where there has
>been a major refactoring and all the bugs are getting worked out.

I'm not sure if you're still fishing for Corinna or me to give you a
recommendation but I'm not going to do that.  I really don't have a
ready answer and the question is too open-ended to be useful even if I
did.  "Stable" might mean different things depending on what you're
doing.  If you have a long-running build then maybe there is a bug in
the current version which will cause a problem.  But, if you are
primarily interested in making sure a network connection stays up then
maybe the latest version is the one you want.  Or, maybe you're
accessing files from a new version of Samba.  In that case you also
probably want the newest version.

We do fix bugs constantly so, in general, the latest released version
should always be better than the previous version.  And, since it is
possible that we might add a new function or two to a new release,
you'll want to be using the latest if you ever want to upgrade the
version of ssh, bash, or associated dlls.  Otherwise, the newer binaries
won't work.

cgf