RE: automatically using pipe_byte for certain EXE's

Out of curiosity, I decided to look at the LibreOffice web site, since I
wasn't really believing that you actually *had* to use Cygwin to compile on
Windows.  I figured surely a project the size of LibreOffice wouldn't depend
on Cygwin, given its problems / lack of support of non-Cygwin programs,
unresolvable problems with fork, general dependency on undocumented Windows
data structures/behavior/APIs, paths that are not compatible with Windows
without using the cygpath utility, and now odd piping behavior.  Cygwin is a
fantastic tool to have around on my workstation for when I want a
POSIX/Linux-like environment for prototyping / general purpose use / use of
tools that don't have native Windows versions.  But now that I have learned
more about these issues with Cygwin, I probably wouldn't pick it for
something critical and I think the build environment is a critical thing -
maybe MSYS is more appropriate?  I figured surely the LibreOffice developers
would already have known all about this, but it turns out I was wrong and
they are using Cygwin...  Frankly I'm surprised there haven't been more
complaints about LibreOffice build issues up until now, given their heavy
reliance on non-Cygwin programs.  I'd be curious to look up what kind of
discussion may have transpired on the LibreOffice mailing last last few
months about build problems, but I'm too lazy.  (Or do they never update
their Cygwin to versions released in the last 9 months?)

I can certainly understand this user's frustration though... latest version
of LibreOffice is not building with latest version of Cygwin.  Dependency
incompatibilities because of version changes is one of those things that has
frustrated me in the past on Linux when trying to compile something from
source.  Maybe someone on the LibreOffice mailing list would be more willing
to investigate and fix Cygwin and/or its packages, since it is apparently
used in their core build process?  I would hope that, between the two
projects, there is a developer actually interested in making sure that
things generally build and work right ("smoke testing") and not leave it to
the end users / total beginner developers to the project.

</rant>