Re: Internal echo of shell beaves (sometimes) different to external echo

My problem is not that the script is in ISO-8859-1, nor that the strings
or ttt.txt are in ISO-8859.1. They have to be in ISO-8859-1 because all my
scripts are in ISO-8859-1 and they are used together with Windows-Programs
(in the DOS-Box) which read and write only ISO-8851-1.

My Problem is to handle in Shell-Scripts strings which are coded in
ISO-8851 (and line-endings which depend on relative/absolute filenames,
mounting and so on) without rewriting all the stuff.

So what't the best setting in cygwin to echo ISO-88591? I still don't
unterstand why the internal echo behaves in a different way from the external
echo.