RE: mcrypt issue

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Schneider

On 16/07/2012 22:16, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> I am seeing an mcrypt problem with short plaintext strings.
> I don't have a Linux box to compare results, so I don't
> know if this is an upstream or a Cygwin issue.
>
> $ mcrypt --version
> Mcrypt v.2.6.8 (i686-pc-cygwin)
> Linked against libmcrypt v.2.5.8
> Copyright (C) 1998-2002 Nikos Mavroyanopoulos (nmav@gnutls.org)
> $
>
> Longer strings seem to work:
>
> $ echo abcdef | mcrypt -q -k xyz | mcrypt -dq -k xyz
> abcdef
> $
>
> But shorter ones not so much:
>
> $ echo abcde | mcrypt -q -k xyz | mcrypt -dq -k xyz
> ab▒$
>
> --Ken Nellis
>
> --

The commands you show work correctly with older version of the software.
Specifically, I've tried this:

mcrypt-2.6.7-1.tar.bz2
libmcrypt4-2.5.8-1.tar.bz2
libmcrypt-2.5.8-1.tar.bz2

Although on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS latest versions of mcrypt and libmcrypts
work with these two commands.
-----END Original Message-----

It looks like this could be a Cygwin issue then.

As alternatives, it seems that ccrypt and openssl work just fine:

$ echo "abcde" | ccrypt -u -K xyz | ccrypt -d -u -K xyz
abcde
$ echo "abcde" | openssl des -k xyz | openssl des -d -k xyz
abcde
$

crypt, OTOH, seems also to be broken, if I'm using it correctly (no
man page or --help option):

$ echo "abcde" | crypt xyz | crypt xyz
abA7GTEBsFqY6
$

If these utilities are broken, maybe they should be fixed or
removed from the distribution.

--Ken Nellis