Re: clisp crashes on startup

On 7/10/12 8:41 AM, Daniel Colascione wrote:

>>> It turns out that clisp crashes only when I've rebased DLLs into the
>>> high portion of the 4GB WOW64 address space.
>>
>> Where did you rebase them to?  You know that on WOW64 and with the
>> bigaddr flag on, the application heap is located at 0x80000000 by
>> default, right?  Perhaps some of your DLLs just collide with that?
>
> I'm using a starting base address of 0xC8000000; I haven't had
> problems with any other program.

It turns out that clisp uses bit 31 of each pointer for its gc mark
bit. No wonder the thing blows in bigaddr-aware mode. clisp _does_
work, however, when compiled with -DWIDE. In this mode, clisp uses two
words for each lisp value --- one for the pointer and one for the
metadata. Also, clisp has a LINUX_NOEXEC_HEAPCODES mode that also
works, and without bloating memory use, but that requires that no real
virtual address be in the range [0xC0000000, 0xDFFFFFFF].