Re: Backspace

On 21/06/2012 11:58 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish by enforcing ^H.
The Cygwin console as well as mintty, the Linux console or any X terminal
emulation I'm aware of default to ^? to be generated by the backspace
key, and stty erase is by default set to ^? as well, usually. Why don't
you just use the default?

Because some time in the past I had problem with backspace not working and setting erase to ^h fixed it. I've had this setting for years - perhaps decades...

At this point I'd revert to defaults until I saw a problem worse than those caused by the non-default setting.

If you're only interacting with cygwin and linux at this point, you should be safe. Solaris and the other Unixes can be a real pain about the whole ^H vs ^? thing, but Solaris has gotten a lot better in the last few years and Unix has largely disappeared (I haven't had to interact with a Unix box in a decade or so).

Ryan