Re: Cygwin unstable as hell on Windows7 64bitâ

On 21/06/2012 11:34 AM, Gerard H. Pille wrote:
I checked the BLODA, but with only the following programs left running, Cygwin is still getting killed:

$ ps -efW
<snip>

A task list isn't terribly useful:
- It doesn't include system tasks (winlogon.exe and a pile of svchost.exe being prominently absent)
- Some BLODA are services, which tend to run as threads within a process rather than given their own
- BLODA are most often troublesome because they inject dlls dynamically into other processes. I dont' know the mechanics, but I suspect it involves black magic in the registry and doesn't require the BLODA to be "running" at all (that's why an uninstall is usually needed to clean up the mess).
- I don't know what all those processes are doing (freepopsd.exe (??), rundll32 could do *anything*, etc.)

Finally, a virus scan is highly recommended if you're convinced there are no normal BLODA around and still "something" kills your cygwin prompts: viruses often hide themselves from the task list.

Ryan