Re: Backspace

On 6/20/2012 8:06 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
On 6/20/2012 11:05 AM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
I see the same thing if I set stty erase (in bash) as you did and start a
new shell (bash again) from it. Of course, the parent shell outputs ^? for
any press of backspace. This behavior is the same for bash started from a
command prompt and from mintty.
An stty -a shows erase = ^h. Mintty is set to send ^h when the backspace
character is pressed. At the bash command line backspace works as expected,
the previous character is erased. However, if I do less <file> backspace
does not behave properly or at least... Wait! I'm seeing something here.

I get this problem with Console - another, non-Cygwin terminal emulator and
I see this problem with gnome-terminal. I don't see this problem with mintty.

Any idea of how to fix this for say gnome-terminal? Surely there are some
out there who use regular Linux and gnome-terminal and ssh to Cygwin boxes...
Beyond personal preference, is there a reason that you don't just take the
default (i.e. don't set stty erase)? That works for me.
Ah, cause I want a backspace to backspace? :confused:

Stated differently, I want the backspace key to move backwards one space and
to erase the previous character, like, for example, the less man page says
it's supposed to.

Now methinks you're just being obtuse.

Let me restate what I see in my environment.  Erase is set as ^? but I
didn't set it anywhere.  So to my way of thinking, this is the default.
This makes me think that maybe you have erase set to ^H somewhere?  What
does your .minttyrc look like?  Other resource files?  That's my thought
for what it's worth.

--
Larry