Re: Performance problems with emacs-X11 in current cygwin

On 6/11/2012 7:39 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 6/10/2012 10:54 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
On 2012-06-10 19:45, Ken Brown wrote:
The bisection shows that the first problematic commit is this one:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/commit/?h=glib-2-32&id=7eae486179e2799c369ed9ffcea663bf9161ce79

Author: Ryan Lortie <desrt@desrt.ca> Date: Wed Aug 31 22:07:02 2011 -0400

GMain: simplify logic for g_wakeup_acknowledge()

Instead of messing around with context->poll_waiting, just look at the
GPollFD to see if the GWakeup needs to be acknowledged.

In case anyone else wants to confirm this, you can get my glib builds by
running

setup.exe -K http://sanibeltranquility.com/cygwin/kbrown.gpg

and adding http://sanibeltranquility.com/cygwin to the list of mirrors.
The problematic version is

libglib2.0_0-2.30.90_7eae4861-1

and the preceding version (without the problem) is

libglib2.0_0-2.30.90_87880df-1

I've tested the latter with emacs-23, emacs-24, and gvim.

Thanks for doing this. Is this still only a problem with XP? If so, it is most likely a bug in Cygwin itself.

It's a problem with XP but not with Windows 7. No one has reported testing other systems.

Do you understand the code well enough to make a test case to help cgf
and Corinna debug it, assuming it's a Cygwin bug?

BTW, there's no easy way to revert the problematic commit, in view of this commit, which came on the next day:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/commit/?h=glib-2-32&id=1c8c408c51c85230356cc95c06f2e1bd3f376624

The commentary that goes with that commit gives some explanations of what's supposed to happen. It doesn't mean much to me, because of my ignorance of how glib works. But maybe it will give you an idea where to look.

Ken