migrating to i686-pc-mingw32-gcc 4.5.2 from gcc 3.4.4 and libstdc++-6

Please excuse me if this isn’t the correct place for this question or
if I’ve misunderstood something, or am not understanding something
obvious, but I honestly wasn’t really sure where the best place to ask
was despite looking around for quite some time and I have been unable
to locate anything that directly answers my questions in any of the
forums (on both the?cygwin.com and mingw.org sites).

I am in the process of switching from an older version of cygwin gcc
where I previously used the –mno-cygwin flag in order to utilize the
mingw compiler portion.? With the new latest version, it appears I
need to change to explicitly install and utilize the mingw compiler.
After making the change, I have now encountered a situation where my
compiled executable is no longer working/loading correctly.? Debugging
the problem using the “cygcheck” tool, I was able to determine that
the object was failing because it could not locate “libstdc++-6.dll”.

cygcheck: track_down: could not find libstdc++-6.dll

I thus located ./gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/4.5.2/debug/libstdc++-6.dll and
copied it to my local build area, which ultimately did in fact resolve
my issue.? However, I would prefer NOT to have to distribute this dll
with my executables and so I am thus now attempting to figure out how
I can go about linking this new, apparently required library,
statically, however I can’t seem to locate libstdc++-6.a or
libstdc++-6.so anywhere in my cygwin repository. ?I've been trying to
make use of '-static-libstdc++' option, however I see that it keeps
telling me that it is not recognized:

i686-pc-mingw32-gcc: unrecognized option '-static-libstdc++'

I'm also not real sure what the difference is between libstdc++-6 and
libstdc++, so I'm not positive -static-libstdc++ would be the correct
solution either, even if I could get that to work.

Anyone who can provide me with any further insight or useful
information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.