Re: 1.7.15-1: pthread_cancel and pthread_kill not working as expected

On May 24 17:03, Otto Meta wrote:
> On 2012-05-24 13:19, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > You know that Cygwin is just a user space DLL, right?  There's no state
> > information kept in the OS beyond the lifetime of any process using the
> > Cygwin DLL.  In case of pthreads, there's no state at all shared with
> > other processes.
>
> Yes, thatâs exactly why Iâm confused about it.
>
> > But even if so, if you stop *all* Cygwin processes and then start
> > another one, all info from the old processes is gone and you should be
> > back to normal.  If that's not the case, I would suspect a case of BLODA.
>
> Yes, I tried that and it changed nothing. I took the chance to uninstall
> some unused software and stopped all dodgy-sounding Windows services,
> including Windows Defender, so that the only thing left from the BLODA
> was the nVidia driver: No change.
>
> Rebasing also didnât help.
>
> >> If the test code includes semaphore.h but doesnât even use any of its
> >> functions it fails right away, just like before. A reboot doesnât help.
> > Is that with the same "read" testcases you sent two days ago?  If so, I
> > can't reproduce it.  I ran both tests in a loop, with and without an
> > additional semaphore.h, but to no avail.  They both just work.
>
> Yes, same tests (the ones blocking on read()), but the semaphore.h was
> probably unrelated after all.
>
> I also ran the tests continuously and discovered the following:
>
> Running the same test several times manually from a cmd shell works a
> few times, then fails. Running the async and deferred tests alternating
> from cmd works, even after they failed previously.
>
> Running one of the tests manually from bash fails most of the time.

Weird.  I tried under CMD now as well, but it still runs and runs and
runs, without a failure.  Tested on XP, W7, and 2008 R2.

Another idea is that your system also fails due to the problem reported
in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-05/msg00522.html
I'm just about to generate another snapshot.  You could see if that
helps for some reason.  I doubt it, but still...

Corinna

Red Hat