Re: Someone is pretending to be some Cygwin's support

As an aside, I've wondered for some time why this group is a mailing list and not a vBulitin type forum. Would not such spam be easier to control with forum admin tools? At least a user needs to sign up (possibly with some form of CAPTCHA) and the account needs to be approved and activated. At least such spam wouldn't automatically end up in mailboxes and I believe that it is harder to implement fishing though forum posts.

Just some thoughts...

LMH

Achim Gratz wrote:
Christopher Faylor writes:
Actually, if you, or anyone, gets one of these please send a copy of
the message to postmaster.  Include all headers so that we can track
this down.

This is happening on a few debian lists as well, Google will show you. It is unconcluive if he's even subscribed to all these lists, some list admins swear that he is not, so he may actually pull them from someplace else. As far as I've been able to track it down, the mails come from a test installation of a "User Help Desk" at http://portal.joegiglio.org created by a guy named Joe Giglio which apparently works as a QA for the company that makes the software (Assistly from desk.com). The company does not have any email address on their website and the one from the whois entry from the portal site is apparently ignored. I've deleted the mails I've received so far, but I'll surely get another one in response to this post, so where do I send the headers then?

Regards, Achim.