Re: OpenSSH using root for the .ssh directory?

Am 05.05.2012 07:23, schrieb Fedin Pavel:
On 05.05.2012 7:06, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
I'm at a loss as to why it's looking in the root directory.

Look at your /etc/passwd. Here, on my machine,home directory is empty for my username. Perhaps mkpasswd's bug. You can fix it by manually setting the right path in /etc/passwd.

It's a bug in openssh (I think) that it does not use $HOME but retrieves the used home directory via getpwuid() which looks into /etc/passwd.
I reported this upstream a while ago but since on Linux systems fewer people have a $HOME setting different from /etc/passwd they don't seem to care. Also I got the hint that it uses getpwuid in some situations and $HOME in others which can be seen in the code but yet remains obscure.
Maybe a cygwin-specific patch could fix it.
Thomas