Re: Some context is being stripped and I don't know how to create it to avoid "error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" problem

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> On 4/10/2012 6:15 PM, Richard Troy wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> The orphaned installations represent places where cygwin1.dlls are or were.
> You want to make sure you clean them up.  No reason to leave around orphans
> to trip and fall on.

Done.

> Also, since you're running 7 versions behind, updating
> is recommended but, as you say, not obviously your problem.

Did that, though once again I ran into the ole cygwin update /
installation disaster that is <rant> based on the fact that something
somewhere doesn't download and the installation doesn't complete properly
and you have to manually figure out what didn't download, explicitly
download that, and then, several tries later, you get a working
installation. Why the cygwin population puts up with this and doesn't fix
the installation script is beyond my pay grade... Heck, just giving us a
single zip to get "everything" would be _so_ less problematic! -shrug-
</rant>

> Still, no
> reason not to be thorough in your testing.   I would say, though, that it
> makes sense to test that the environment you expect to see is what you're
> getting when you invoke bash.  How about if you invoke "env" from "cmd /c"
> instead of your program and send the output to a file you can inspect?

Done that and more. New post on this this AM.

> If any or all of the above doesn't enlighten, I'd recommend cygcheck output
> accompany any follow-up here.

OK. I posted more information a little while ago, but somewhow I
overlooked sending cygcheck output again. -frown-

Regards - and thanks for your reply,
Richard