Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 1.7.12

On Apr  5 20:12, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > On Apr  5 17:49, Achim Gratz wrote:
> >> I don't have any problems with the question marks showing up in
> >> directory listings, I would just prefer if a user that has no home
> >> directory set in /etc/passwd is not offered as an expansion for '~'.
> >
> > Expansion is done by the shell, not by Cygwin.
>
> Yes, but since there is no entry for the home dir in passwd for these
> users, the association with /mnt/userdata/ must come from the way Cygwin
> interprets them.

No.  Cygwin just provides the naked data.  The rest is entirely
in the jurisdiction of the application using the data.  Just as on
any other OS.

> Is there any harm to set a different (maybe even
> non-existing) home directory in passwd for these accounts?  That would
> likely solve that problem, I'd think.

Not at all.  Follow my suggestion and add an entry for the ????????
user with a non-existent dir "/foo" to /etc/passwd.  The shell will
dilligently pick up the entry and `cd ~\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?' will result
in a "/foo: No such file or directory" message.

If you think this should be changed, you will have to complain upstream
in the bash or dash or mksh or tcsh or zsh developer's mailing list.

Corinna

Red Hat