RE: chmod problem

On Apr 5 14:25, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > > There's your problem: The Administrators group and the root group
> > > are just two different Cygwin group names for the same Windows group
> > > with SID S-1-5-32-544. So, the above POSIX permissions are a result
> > > of the SID S-1.5.32.544 having rw- permissions.
> > >
> > > Apart from that, the owner of the /etc/ssh* files should be cyg_server,
> > > not the admins group.
> > >
> > I name my cyg_server user root.
>
> But your root group is the same as the Administrators group. Look into
> the file's ACL.
>
> > But my testcase was demonstrating that chmod thought it changed the
> > file permissions but had no effect when performed in a script. While
> > when performed interactively at the bash command prompt, chmod worked
> > fine.
>
> It works still fine for me if I don't use the same Windows group as
> owner and as group of the file.

Btw., there were no changes at all between 1.7.10 and 1.7.12 which
would even remotely touch chmod or chown behaviour on files.

If you do use the same windows group as owner and group of the file

do you get the same thing as me?

I still don't understand why doing the chmod command interactively is different.

...Karl