Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] CALL FOR TESTING: Cygwin 1.7.12

Greetings,

Firstly, thank you everyone for your tireless work on the Cygwin project! I have no doubt that many of you burn the midnight oil in your quest to improve Cygwin. I appreciate the fruits of your labor! So, thank you.

Now, in testing the latest snapshots I may have stumbled upon something that has not yet been noticed. If by chance it has, then I apologize for not probing deep enough.

It appears that some sort of anomaly was introduced in snapshot 20120329 which persists in 20120330 and 20120401 as well.
Snapshot 20120321 is the last snapshot that seems to work correctly in my testing.

I applied the snapshots to a 1.7.11 installation and also performed a rebaseall operation (with success) after applying each snapshot and prior to testing.

The issue affects the ability to launch *some* applications from the XWin Server's menu (X icon in systray). For example:

1) Attempts to launch xterm fails to launch and results in a stack dump. (It is noteworthy to mention that the initial xterm launched via the "XWin Server" Windows shortcut does indeed launch).
2) Attempts to launch gvim just fails to launch (I cannot locate any dump file).
3) Attempt to "View logfile" results in an xterm stack dump.
4) Attempts to launch an rxvt terminal, as well as an Xemacs session, succeeds.

However, all of these applications do launch successfully from the command line for all snapshots (within the initial xterm or subsequent xterm's launched from it).

My test platform is a first generation Intel core-i7 running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit, SP1.

Attached are files detailing the cygcheck results (all OK) and the stack dumps for xterm. Also, I have attached a slightly modified /etc/X11/system.XWinrc which I used as a test case.

Hopefully this is enough info to enable investigation of these events.

Kind regards,
Ken