Re: Proposed change to base-files /etc/bash.bashrc: see whether PS1 has already been set

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 09:12:11PM +0100, David Caldwell wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 26 2012 at 09:22:3147PM +0200, David Sastre Medina wrote:
> >>On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 04:40:31PM +0100, David Caldwell wrote:
> >> I can't figure out where the CVS is for base-files, but I wanted to
> >> propose that the file:
> >>
> >> /etc/bash.bashrc

Oops! So sorry. I (obviously) overlooked this line...

> I'm not sure why one would need to alter /etc/profile to create an
> /etc/profile.d script, but I'm open to hearing more.

What I tried to say is that by adding a custom /etc/profile.d/ script,
you are overriding the default setup for bash, and therefore it would not be
that weird to alter also /etc/profile. I never implied that by adding
the former one would be forced to alter the latter.

> I suppose an alternative, equivalent change to the one I originally
> proposed might be to execute /etc/bash.bashrc *before* executing the
> files in /etc/profile.d; either makes sense to me. I'm not sure what
> the precedence order of those ought to be but my view is bash.bashrc
> ought to be executed first as it is providing out-of-the-box defaults
> and /etc/profile.d is intended for local modification.

I see what you mean. It looks a much simpler solution to swap those lines.
I'll check it doesn't (unexpectedly) break anything else and add it for the
next release.

Thanks.

--
Primary key fingerprint: AD8F BDC0 5A2C FD5F A179  60E7 F79B AB04 5299 EC56