"Inappropriate ioctl for device" problem using latest cygwin as a shell within native (non-cygwin) GnuEmac

After upgrading my cygwin environment this morning to version
1.7.11-1, I am no longer able to use cygwin bash as a shell within
native GnuEmacs (Windows).

When I invoke M-x shell, I now get the following output in the shell window:

bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
bash: no job control in this shell
$

The shell window is functional, but as the error message suggests, I
have no Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Z or other job control functions.

Here are my shell related .emacs settings:
(setq explicit-shell-file-name "c:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe")

I am using:
GnuEmacs version 23.4.1 (latest)
Bash version 4.1.10-4
also Bash version 3.2.51-24 (removes error message, but job control
still doesn't work)

I also tried the cygwin1.dll from the 3/10 snapshot and saw no
difference in behavior.

Jack