Re: Cygwin Emacs and windows paths

On 3/10/2012 1:17 AM, Leo wrote:
Hi there

Recently I bit the bullet and made the switch from NT Emacs to Cygwin
Emacs. And with this finally the annoying bash error message "cannot
set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device"
disappeared... :-)

Now my normal Windows paths copied from Windows Explorer don't work
anymore in Emacs - and vice versa. I know I can use `cygpath` to
convert /on the command line/, but is there any integration for this
in Cygwin Emacs?

No. There may actually be some obsolete Cygwin-specific code in files.el that's preventing this from working. It's possible that emacs is trying to be too smart instead of letting Cygwin handle the file names. (See, for instance, `convert-standard-filename'.) I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

But it's generally recommended that you use POSIX-style paths in the Cygwin environment. For example, write `/cygdrive/c/foo' instead of `c:\foo'. To save typing, you can put the following line into /etc/fstab:

C: /c some_fs binary,posix=0 0 0

Then you can just type `/c/foo'. See the Cygwin User's Guide for more information:

  http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#cygdrive
  http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

Ken